PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2-5
Thread: Jet2-5
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 15:17
azz767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen a lot of people recently speculate about whether Jet2 will move into the long haul market and had saw some points mentioned but I also thought of another which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere and I wondered what peoples views on it are.

This issue being going long haul at the moment with an all economy fleet. TUI and TCX (for which long haul was profitable) both have/had decent sized premium cabins on their long haul fleet this summer and the A330's Jet 2 operate are all economy at present (and correct me if im wrong but I believe they have to stay this way in case they are needed urgently for military use). Even the Norwegians of this world offer some sort of premium product which I think is a lot more essential on long haul routes.

TCX had this issue themselves when they had two Air Tanker frames doing routes like JFK, BOS and SEA and the lack of any sort of premium offering will have cost them going up against the likes of VS and the American trio. Looking at Florida and the Caribbean and even Vegas which is likely where Jet2 would start wouldn't this also be the case.

A move into long haul for Jet2 is a lot more than just 'they now have the aircraft to do it' and 'there is an opportunity left after TCX went', lets not forget Jet2 is actually a scheduled airline first and has the holidays division buy seats on flights, so they need to have a product that if they went long haul would entice flight only customers to them not just the holidays people.