PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX SFO (main thread)
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 13:58
cxorcist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjimmy
My personal observation is ,and sadly this comes from the training dept as well.
Hessitation to use VS in later stages of approach.
A sickening LNAV VNAV/ managed mode operation.
I got told off on a linecheck for using VS on radar vectors to maintain 3 times table.
New CX pilots are not pilots anymore but FMA observers, not looking outside
for other traffic and anticipating what could happen next.
At home base dragging a widebody in from 1700 ft flying level.
embarrasing!
And if you try to help they look at you like you committed a crime.
This is exactly right. The problem is... the VNAV unaltered brings the aircraft in low and fast with deceleration much closer to the field than realistically occurs. I find that altering the VNAV to decelerate earlier and stay higher (3 times table or even above if slowed) helps, especially for our lesser experienced aviators. That said, I still go to VS or “speed on elevator” the moment VNAV starts doing something I don’t want or like. You can always go back to VNAV if it suits. Why training doesn’t teach these concepts is beyond me???

If I were in training (which I never will), I would insist my trainees know the approximate track miles to touchdown and correlated altitude at all times. It is much the same as knowing what airport to go to at all times if there were to be a severe emergency enroute requiring an immediate diversion. At the end of the day, it is basic airmanship. CX doesn’t value this anymore, they want rote seat warmers doing little more than a robot could do.