PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-17 Crash
Thread: B-17 Crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 09:29
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Dave Unwin, if you had been clear from the start that you had lost a dear friend who you admired greatly, had flown with and learned much from, you would have simply received my sincere condolences. As it is, I offer them now. In retrospect I can now see that you alluded to that but I didn't pick up on it at the time. So it is I that must apologise to you.

As for me, no apologies are needed. PPRuNe is, if nothing else, for the exchange of opposing views and would be a dull place indeed if all were in violent agreement. The only requirement is for mutual respect, a precious thing at risk of extinction sometimes.

Your chosen lifestyle, or mine for that matter, is of little relevance here I would suggest. Airworthiness is not merely for the protection of crew and pax (informed or otherwise!). It is also to protect others outside that bubble. Unlike Shoreham there were mercifully no fatalities in that regard, but there might have been if the aircraft had hit the building it impacted with greater force. Energy lost in striking the ILS array and in careering across the field might have allowed it to penetrate that building and hazard its occupants. According to Wiki (yes, I know!) there was at least one such occupant (unnamed there), who emerged from it and immediately set to work helping survivors from the inferno, suffering severe burns in doing so. Whatever the USA version of the George Cross is, I would humbly suggest that person, if the account be true, would be a very worthy recipient indeed.