PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check-in first, land second!
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2003, 16:16
3rdtimelucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vector4fun, I can understand what you say,

My question was, Is there a set procedure laid down in the ATC 'Ops manual' so to speak?

At the end of the day everyone should be around the 250kt mark at the point they check into approach freq! To sit and listen to ATC giving direct commands to "keep your speed over 350kts and I 'Fit' you in" is just out of order. Especially when it comes to a 5-10 min delay every day!!!

I fully understand the 'Big' picture you guys keep your eye on, and I admire you for it, but I would expect some sort of procedure to be have been laid down by your manual writers.

To put the record straight, if ATC were to ask us for high speed (barring the fact that using the words Jetstream and High speed in the same sentance has caused uncontrolled hysterics in many a sane brain!)
we can keep 230kts up to around 8-6 miles. If we are keen, 4 is not too much of a problem, before upsetting the wage payers!

To further, help you, I am not talking about the likes of MAN, or LHR etc (I have never had a problem here as the volume of traffic stops such behaviour) The biggest offenders would be GLA, ABZ and EDN.