PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-17 Crash
Thread: B-17 Crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 01:17
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Well put tartare. People who pay money (and it's not cheap) to fly on these old war birds know it's potentially dangerous but do it anyway (hint - when you need to sign a liability release before they let you do something, it's a sure bet that it's not completely safe). Different people have different levels of risk acceptance. Some people sky dive, climb mountains, and countless other risky sports/hobbies because they enjoy what they are doing enough to counter the risks involved.
I drove race cars for 35 years - during that time 2 drivers who I knew died while racing, countless others where injured (including myself - I have a bit of a permanent limp due to damage done to my left ankle/foot when a mechanical failure put me into a tirewall at ~70 mph). I kept doing it because I loved it. I'm not some adrenaline junky - there are many activities that I won't do due to the risks - and I did everything in my power to make it as safe as possible, but I kept doing it.
I have cherished memories associated with those old war birds operated by the Commemorative Air Force and Collings Foundation - some of the Commemorative AF memories shared with my late WWII vet father (it was known as the Confederate AF in those days, before political correctness forced them to change the name), and I consider my memories of flying on Nine-O-Nine to be priceless. I've donated a fair amount of money to both CAF and Collings over the years to help keep those aircraft flying so that others can share those experiences. There is a place in Florida that has some two-seat (dual controls) P-51 Mustangs - next time I go to Florida I hope to go up in one.
I live a few miles from Paine Field - where there are two air museums stocked with WWII vintage warbirds - Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum and Historic Flight. Most of their aircraft are flight worthy, and when the weather is nice it's not uncommon to see one or more of them flying around the area and occasionally over my house. I get a thrill every time I see one fly overhead. And the sound - especially the multi-engine ones - is fantastic. Is there a risk one might fall out of the sky and injury someone on the ground? Sure, but that's also true of the hundreds of GA aircraft that fly out of Paine. And there are many Experimental aircraft that fly out of Paine as well - which by definition don't meet all the current airworthness standards.
New cars are safer than older cars - and the older cars don't need to be that old. I recently read that you're are twice as apt to be seriously injured or killed in an accident in a 10 year old car than in a new one, yet I don't hear any calls to ban older cars (nor would I agree with such a proposal).
The crash of Nine-O-Nine and the associated deaths are tragic, no question. Hopefully lessons will be learned that can make the continued operation of these classic warbirds safer. But the greatest tragedy of the crash of Nine-O-Nine would be if it resulted in the loss of the ability to fly these old warbirds and to share that experience with the younger generation.