PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAW and NY approach at it
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2019, 15:29
20driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
NYC controllers aren't all bad

Just to add to the noise I suspect the NYC area handles a lot more GA in a week than London or any place in Europe does in a year. The GA traffic is usually VFR and I doubt it gets covered in the movement numbers. Despite the workload the controllers are very accommodating to GA.
I used to fly my bug smasher out of Central NJ often headed east and skirting the NYC class B. I'd usually get flight following and would frequently get unrequested directs throughout the Bravo. With very few exceptions the NYC approach controllers were very helpful to us little guys even when very busy.
They do like people to do as they are told, or if not a very quick reply.
I have heard pilots dumped from flight following when it was clear they were not getting the program. "Radar services terminated , have a good day" - meant - you don't want to play by my rules get out of the sandbox.
One day we were given a short cut north of LGA at 6000 or something.
Over the frequency : "Cactus XXX, hold at 5000 , crossing traffic is a Trinidad at 6000"
The kids loved it ! Take that with your two engines and fancy hat! Just stay down there and wait for us!
You knew you were on thin ice when they started prefacing communications with sir.
When I came back from a trip the kids would ask "did they sir you Dad?"
Good days.
I am always amazed they manage the job so well.
20driver