PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurigny Air Services-2
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2019, 13:03
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by virginblue
How many daily long-haul passengers can an island of 65.000 generate? Realistically, not enough to make a P2P-route worthwhile, given that you need at least two daily flights as otherwise those connecting need to overnight at least once at the transit airport.
In reality, VB, that is what a lot of us do - both here in Jersey & in Guernsey. We overnight in Gatwick (usually). In our case, that is even so regardless of the fact that we have 8 daily A319/320s to Gatwick. It is not just due to the lack of good connections, but also to allow for fog disruption in the islands. In fact, I am doing this today - but taking a chance on the weather for my return connection Palma-Gatwick-Jersey.
Aeromad is totally correct in his observations, as are the other contributors. Guernsey people have to be realistic about what they can expect; & the “Runway Extenders” also need to get real. If the runway is extended, at a cost of £10m+, you may get EZY etc. in, you may get bigger aircraft ( I would not argue that there is scope for charters with A320/B737 etc) operating the occasional charter; but what you definitely WILL get in the case of EZY to Gatwick, or RYR to Stansted , is the demise of AUR.