PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you fly your non-precision approaches?
Old 9th Nov 2003, 14:26
drive a bus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,

in my company, we fly non precision approaches fully configured. We set the MDA via the MCDU to have a bug on the altimeter band. The missed approach altitude is set in the FCU window to be prepared for a goaround. Arriving at the MDA (50ft to 100ft before, depends on aircraft weight) we select v/s or flight path vector to zero, to level off. While that, the PNF is watching out for visual references. Formally you have to continue to the missed approach point, where your missed approach segment starts. But most of the time, when you see the RWY at the missed approach point, you cannot make the landing, you are to close. You had to dive towards the RWY with a very high rate of descent. Thats prohibited according our SOP, max. ROD 1000 ft/min below 1000ft AGL. What I do is, I calculate my personal decision point to continue down to the RWY with a 3° path. Is the MDH 450 ft, my decision point is 1,5 NM before the threshold (plus / minus DME reading, because most of the time the DME is not installed next to the theshold). When I would start the final descent later, I couldnīt land my bus withing the touchdown zone - and there we allways should land.

Allways happy landings,

drive