PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 8th Oct 2019, 12:24
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
Don't we know what is needed to be changed? Why can't it be done? Why has Boeing still not officially passed their mods to the FAA for certification? What is stopping the MAX from being returned to service?
If there is something else we should know, shouldn't we? And if it can't be recertified in any way we should know as well.
You have not worked with bureaucratic regulators have you. Especially, bureaucratic regulators who think that they were blindsided and are now being extremely pedantic. Those bureaucrats then have to persuade other bureaucratic regulators who think that they were blindsided in other continents to accept the assurances of the people that they think did the blindsiding.... This process will make dotting 'I's and crossing 'T's look swift. They all have on their walls the famous Bob Carter quote: "Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine."

For the regulators there is no downside to taking their time. There is a huge potential downside to rushing and letting through another certification failure. There will also be a "they won't do that again" mindset. These people will not be working weekends to get things done.