PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 8th Oct 2019, 10:42
BDAttitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
Don't we know what is needed to be changed? Why can't it be done? Why has Boeing still not officially passed their mods to the FAA for certification? What is stopping the MAX from being returned to service?
If there is something else we should know, shouldn't we? And if it can't be recertified in any way we should know as well.
We know ... the engineers there know ... the management still thinks it can get away with a do min approach. We have only got a some rare glimpses behind the scenes, but the struggle about how much has to be done is in full swing I suppose.
Even without further changes mandated beyond the MCAS ... my first estimation for safety critical software on embedded systems was 10 months. Any hardware changes required to the electronics 18 months. Looks good for my estimate.
Some people are learning an important lesson for the first time in their live: Some things cannot be expedited, not by parallelisation, not by monetary ressources, not by staffing, not by pressure.
They will come after Muilenburg ... not the FBI because of the 340+ casualties but the SEC due to his overly optimistic statements about a return to service.