PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2019, 02:47
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR

I don't know if it's denial, or more simply very eager enthusiasm. We desperately need enthusiasts. I chatted with two Air Cadets out tagging on Saturday, just to boost their enthusiasm. We need to have people who put forth effort and investment in the preservation of our aviation history.

On the other side, we, in the industry, owe it to "civilians" to afford them a fair combination of protection and opportunity...

The questions raised by the senator have an understandable intent, but only partly contribute to further understanding and safety...

The distraction of the experience...

I'm not about abandoning experience flights, though I think we owe experience seekers information on the full scope of the risks before they ride. If 25% (including me) decline the flight, after understanding the risks as explained, then the risks are being explained properly. The other 75% are fairly informed, and welcomed to fly, and enjoy the wonderful experience of historic planes. The senator, and society he represents, can know that the safety system is striking a fair balance of experience verses information.
PilotDAR, concur with your comments.

Political rhetoric has a way of becoming policy, and as regrettable as the accident is, excessive regulatory response would take away from the memorialising of global events that is provided as experience by these operations. I suspect that the findings from this will generally find that operational cautions were taken before every flight, as far as briefings and preparations. The Senator is suggesting a number of changes that would potentially lead to cessation of these activities; it is not unreasonable that informed individuals accept increased risks, as riders of Harleys without helmets do, or drivers who do not use seat belts, or anyone who sits astride a quad bike does. In a free society, it is not unreasonable to have free choice. Normal SAWC constraints assure safety of 3rd parties, those directly involved need to be aware of the inherent risks and take responsibility for those increased risks.

30 fatalities in 40 years doing something that keeps history alive, while painful to those involved, is not an epidemic. Images of the activities show that reasonable PPE is used by the crews, and presumably the pax.

The US Senate has much bigger issues, of greater importance to deal with at this moment in time, starting with defending the constitution and the 243 odd years of their experiment in democracy.