PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAW and NY approach at it
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2019, 16:40
Retired DC9 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PukinDog
Fast-talking NY controllers: Bring your "A" game. Try to keep up. If asked a question by ATC, try just answering it before transmitting a dissertation that doesn't.
BA pilot in love with the sound of his own "radio voice" chewing-up the freq, gonna 'splain to the American ATC girl about her own FAA-approved procedures: Not entirely unpredictable, yet still comedy gold.
So true. I flew many years into LGA and JFK. You better fly an assigned speed; do what you are told, and flying into LGA, know what the "GW" is (George Washington bridge) Or if the controller asks, "You got the tanks?" (Maspeth tanks) or "You got the Lady ? Visual on the Statue of Liberty. In the old days, you could get a visual down the Hudson, or River Visual for 13. Maybe, coming in from the North, a right turn in for 31 at LGA. Not anymore. I always enjoyed the Expressway Visual. Wanted to fly that in the B-767.
I did more than a few controller initiated Go Arounds in LGA too. At 300 AGL, they wouldn't even give the flight number, just an "A..C... GO AROUND" . Good practice for new F.O.s on the Airbus.

Kennedy has te Wonderfull VOR/DME 22L (the Canarsie curve..)
I never liked that curved approach, with lead in lights , on top of apartment buildings !