PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2019, 16:30
eggplantwalking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim1
I would be grateful if anyone could explain what "formation throttles" are? I can guess that is throttle controls positioned for Hands on Throttle and Stick while looking out to the side flying - but it would be good to know.
Google does not seem to be helpful.

Thanks.
Okay, I'll try and help. Most aircraft have a throttle for each engine located on the center throttle quadrant and is vertical ( sticks straight up) and is isolated from the other throttles but only by an inch or so.When you observe the throttle quadrant you will see the throttles protruding out ot the quadrant along with other levers such as prop control levers, etc., and none of them are connected. Now picture this: In the B-17 you have the same throttles ( four of them) located in the center, however, you notice that there are three horizontal bars facing inward from each engine lever between the throttles with a small gap separating the horizontal bars. Each bar can be grasped in one hand and the top bar will control the #1 and #4 engine and the bottom bar will control #2 and #3 engine when moved together. On the center bar ( 4 split bars aligned ) all four engines can be manipulated together when grasped to facilitate changing engine power on all four engines simultaneously. Therefore, when flying formation the pilot flying need to grasp only the center bar with his hand to control all four engines simultaneously making formation flying much easier. Take a look at a B-17 cockpit photo and this should all make sense.