PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a small plane over water, from Northern Ireland to Scotland?
Old 6th Oct 2019, 15:11
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, I expect they have flown round in circles a bit. My syndicate partner and I had to do that with our homebuilt, 25 km radius from base, cruising speed 130 knots. It got well boring after a while, especially the flight to confirm endurance. Three hours then fill it up again to confirm thirty minutes remaining. We actually had the thick end of an hour left, but stuck with the three hours so as not to have to do it again . I was lumbered with that one. We had some fun getting it harmonised. Ended up with aileron spades ( shameless copy from a Cap 10.) Then we had to find somewhere to put the radio and transponder where we could both see and turn the knobs. Not as easy as it might sound with a centre stick.

Heaved a big sigh of relief when the test programme was done and we could actually go somewhere. Not a Vans, btw. Nearly as quick and a lot cheaper. Stern Vega. His third and my second aircraft. Thirty years toddling around in a cub and now still getting used to twice the speed and more than twice landing distance.