PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-17 Crash
Thread: B-17 Crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2019, 14:19
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Momoe, I've no idea what the accident rate is for motorcycles but logic suggests that it be high as you say, and as often as not caused by other road users rather than by the motorcyclists themselves. They are the most likely casualties of such accidents of course, and presumably accept that increased risk to themselves. Aircraft are inherently more dangerous, not to those who choose to fly them, but to those who do not, witness the tragic toll of the OP tragedy.

The snowflake generation jibe misses the point and I suspect is counter productive anyway. It is more to do with assessing the risk to oneself and to others. Being ancient I learned risk assessment at the cost of many scraped knees and sundry bruises. That I would suggest is where the snowflakes have missed out and hence are left all the more vulnerable to situations that are indeed risky but not perceived as such.

Sorry to have used such a hackneyed phrase for which you have rightly brought me to task. All I would respond with is, if nothing is for ever be unacceptable, when would it be acceptable to ground WWII aircraft; in ten years, twenty, a hundred, never? The accident rate when they were operational was horrendous by modern day standards. RAF Flight Safety was the reaction to the Meteor loss rate in the 50's. The churchyards with rows of CWGC headstones around RAF Bicester bear witness to the Blenheim crews lost while attending the OTU there. All that training for naught before they were even operational. All acceptable as the cost of fighting a war of survival of course, but for mere magic and enlightenment? Not in my book.

May I once again repeat that I am not impugning the restoration and servicing these old timers receive. It is they themselves that are the problem, not the TLC lavished on them. A generation used to rattling off "V1, Rotate, V2" in almost one breath these days needs to know the long pauses between those calls that these veterans impose. Not only is the possibility of an engine failure on a veteran twin so much more likely, but the options open to you before V2 are so much more limited. As you say, just my opinion but others should perhaps consider theirs...