PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying GA in to Mildura
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2019, 13:49
youngmic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Akro
Mildura don't mean "Class B" They mean "High Status". There are about 4 different definitions of class B. Not only does Mildura not define which they mean, they don't make any mention of this in ERSA, you just find out on the ground. I've seen a variety of aircraft that are class A for IAP parked there with the CEO's blessing - but they had high status appearance.

If you believe this, I've got a bridge you might like to buy. Firstly, the only regular jet aircraft are the 2 movements per day by the Virgin 737. Secondly, point to another airport that requires similar demarcation. I don't have this trouble flying into Adelaide, Avalon, Wagga, Essendon, Sunshine Coast, Alice Springs and i'm sure there are more.

Mildura seem to be the only airport in Australia having this trouble integrating GA & RPT.
Class B as defined in MOS 139 not Cat B as per IAP

I would imagine it relates to all airports with high capacity RPT, the specifics of MIA as described to me relate not to the main terminal parking area but the adjacent area designated for high capacity jet refueling and the requirement for a jet blast protection zone when maneuvering from this area.

The existence of such an area and buffer doesn't sound unreasonable at face value and they probably still remember when a C172 was blown over by a Dash 8. I don't spend much time delving into the riveting world of airfield design but from the little I do l know I am aware that many airports don't meet all the requirements of MOS 139 and typically they work there way toward compliance over time. The fact that this is what may have happened at MIA is not beyond reasonable belief.

There is substantial separation between RPT jets and GA at Adelaide and Alice (can't speak for the others) so not quite sure how you're drawing a direct comparison there with MIA??

If MIA despised GA operations to the extent you allude to likely they would not have spent so much time and money establishing the large grassed area for GA to park and simply just left it as bare rocky limestone strewn area. The fact there is now a fairly active flying training school operating out of there should give some indication they are prepared to accept the mix of student pilots mixing it with RPT operations.