PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAW and NY approach at it
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2019, 07:07
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
The response on the tape is plain wrong, but that is a case closed. Why did the controller ask for something unthinkable needs a bit of investigating.

Falling back on the CRM class: Ask not what you hear nor what they are saying, ask what their thinking is.... an honest question: If the NY ATC demands a speed until "5", do they mean the 5DME reading (offset towards the runway by 1,2NM which would be massively important with my type) or 5 NM distance from the threshold?

I can see either being a possible mindset. Which one is it?

Check Airman If instructed to keep 180 until 3.8 to THR, what would be the best response from your pilot group - I gather you're reasonably local?
I’ll start by saying I like avoiding NYC airspace. Some here will be horrified to hear this, but of the 3 (JFK, EWR and LGA), JFK is actually the best of the lot. You guys should thank the gods you don’t go to LGA.

My first question would have been “5 DME or 5 miles?”. If she really wanted 5 DME, my next transmission would’ve been, “unable, can we do 170 to 5 DME?”

If I had an approach speed that was unusually slow, I’d be sure to let approach know on initial contact, so they can plan.

I’ve never flown in Europe, but here, you’re best advised to use that secondary flight plan or RTE 2 for another runway.