PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying GA in to Mildura
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2019, 05:55
youngmic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never been charged a landing fee and I was there as recently as a month ago, I did however once get charged a parking fee for parking in the old GA parking area which is now reserved for class B aircraft. I contacted the MIA airport management and pointed out the fee was not listed in the ERSA as per normal convention to do so and regardless of where I was still a private aircraft. They reversed the charge and I haven't had one since, perhaps this might be attributed to the last few trips arriving in the afternoon and leaving within 24 hours.

Haven't met the CEO, just the GM.

Toilets and tea/coffee facilities snacks and airconditioned lounge are available on the western side of the aeroclub building and have always been open when I have been there.

$2.35/L is par for course for regional airports the lower price at Moorabbin likely reflects turn over and lower transport costs.

The security requirements at the main terminal are to be expected at airports with high capacity RPT, as I mentioned the aeroclub facilities are more than adequate.

The parking area you refer to was an interim while the new GA grass parking area was being established, this new area is fine, having said that my aircraft is restricted to hard surface operations and whilst I will park on the lawn area and use the tie down cables if there is a likelihood of strong winds/thermals, other times I simply park in the class B area if a space is available.

My understanding is that the change to parking location for GA was due to the proximity of heavy jet maneuvering and the risk of jet blast damage. I am not sure what was the initiator of this change, a claim by a GA aircraft owner for damage perhaps or more likely a CASA aerodrome audit that found it didn't meet the MOSP requirements, I don't know but suspect it was not on the wish list of MIA airport corporation.

Whilst Wentworth is a good alternative airfield for many (no good for me due no bitumen) to my thinking we need a strong GA presence at MIA and should be encouraging everyone to use it otherwise if there is no presence then there is a sound case for MIA airport corp not to invest in or encourage GA ops.

I flew to Bacchus Marsh recently, now there's an airport that one could truly grizzle about, some clown even parked, bunged and chocked their twin right near the bowser meaning unless you could push your aircraft back out or had reverse thrust you were buggered, no one seem to bat an eye at this, just bizarre.