PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a small plane over water, from Northern Ireland to Scotland?
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 21:41
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by owenc
Has anyone done this? My father has a small one engine plane (two seats) that he has had about a year.

We have flown a lot in it but only 30 miles or so within Northern Ireland. We were discussing flying to Kintyre or Ayrshire as a trial run.

Whilst this is a short distance, given the plane size I would be wary.

Our plane cruises at around 150-200mph. We talked about going to 10,000 feet.

Has anyone done a similar crossing? What kind of weather conditions would you need?

We would want to get across as fast as possible so it would be the shortest distance from NI to Scotland. We would not want to spend more than 5 minutes over water.

Is this a risky idea?
This sounds like a wind-up but if serious, I apologise and would make the following comments:

I have made this journey several times in two seat aircraft that cruise at 75 - 95 knots but still do not take it lightly.

I always wear a survival (dry) suit and a life jacket and fly as high as the weather allows. This is usually less than 5000 ft which is around the lower limit of most of the CTA anyway on my favourite route from just NW of Portpatrick to Copeland Island (19nm). I know it is shorter from Mull of Kintyre to Torr head and you can fly higher but to get there from Ayrshire you have to cross more stretches of water (and some mountainous terrain) unless you go a very long way round. And there are more boats on the more southerly route!

I always speak to Scottish info and then switch to Belfast City before halfway across. Unfortunately, they sometimes force your down lower before you reach the Irish coast.

I like good visibility, preferably seeing the other side before I coast out, because I am flying VFR. Hazy days, even with high cloud are a no go.

I have not found filing a flight plan particularly useful (unless going direct to the Republic of course) but do not forget about giving enough notice to Special Branch via a GAR.

Above all, speak to people who have done it before for example from Newtownards or Eglinton and take their advice!

PS I always carry a PLB on my person and have a hand-held radio. I know the engine does not know it is over water but if it quits, even if you make a perfect ditching, the water is so cold at all times of the year that you will not last long if you are not picked up quickly. Better safe than sorry!

Last edited by Forfoxake; 4th Oct 2019 at 21:09.