PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warnings of possible Middle East hijackings
Old 9th Nov 2003, 02:43
Steepclimb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idea of a cargo jet being hijacked is not impossible and as one or two pointed out easier than passenger jets in many circumstances.

But as I watch reports on the TV news of this co called plot to hijack cargo jets and fly them into strategic sites in America and elsewhere. I can't help thinking just who is perpetuating this fiction? Al Qaeda attempting to strike fear in the West or certain security agencies attempting to keep up the tension for their own ends?

This may scare the general public but how can any of us who know anything about the working of aircraft and ATC think it's possible post September 11th?

Let's assume someone hijacks a cargo jet. Now what? They kill the crew and take over themselves. Then they fly the aircraft on it's original flight plan until the magic moment when they peel off and dive into the Boulder dam or Three Mile Island or the White House or Ten Downing Street. Several aircraft can be hijacked simultaneously a la 911 for maximum damage.

To do that you need the hijackers to be competent and experienced airliner pilots, at least one on each flight because unlike 911 they need to fly a long way under positive ATC control without arousing suspicions. Still that's possible but then you need to get to your target while the Air Force is otherwise occupied. They might get lucky but most will meet their fate at the end of an Amraam. Those that make it to the target have to navigate precisely while avoiding the attentions of Fighters and then accurately dive into their target assuming they can see it and the day is as clear and bright as September 11th in New York city.

I don't know if I would buy a ticket to that 'movie' because it strains my credulity to the maximum. Sure, all it takes is for one aircraft to get through, as someone will no doubt point out or perhaps even the fact that the attempt is made will be enough.

But the point is that it's all very unlikely and the product of a bad fiction novelist. I know that, so do you and so do any potential hijackers.

In my opinion it's simply a scare story being perpetuated by someone with an agenda. Anyone reading Aviation Week lately would get plenty of inspiration.

Security on cargo flights is an issue but this is just a scary story.