PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Declaring an Emergency
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 10:08
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gonzo
parkfell,

Important here to differentiate between the priority state (MAYDAY v PAN) and any emergency response that the tower will call to meet the aircraft. They are two different matters. ATC can put on a Full Emergency response for what the flight crew might not deem an emergency (engine failure, One of four hydraulic systems failed, etc). Conversely, ATC might not call any response at all for a MAYDAY.

It all depends on the issue at hand.

MAYDAY v PAN is only used by ATC to determine the priority level of that flight among the other flights being dealt with at that time. We then use the detail of the problem to determine the emergency response.
I would suggest that an engine failure would result in an emergency being declared. There is however a school of thought that a simple flame out (loss of thrust) would only merit a PAN call on an Airbus 320.

Call me old fashioned, but when 50% of thrust/power is lost with a much higher percentage of performance that is a MAYDAY in my book every time.

Can you give me an example when a MAYDAY declared, and ATC “might not take any response at all”. I am curious.