PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 00:25
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Grebe, ( I note your background) while your links are substantial, I feel that the suggestion we delve that deep rather counters your protest about the need to delve say, into the clutches, on a thread such as this. Having read every post since Novemeber, certain design logic is still not clear even to overview level. An overview is all this old-timer can hope to achieve. However, I go on to a snippet -

Several operators have reported instances where the stabilizer trim wheel continued to turn when the stabilizer trim switches were operated and released. A binding condition of a clutch disc in the stabilizer trim electric actuator was found to be the cause of the reported incidents. Action specified by this Directive is intended to prevent reduced controllability of the airplane caused by the binding clutch.
Can you answer simply, how the cable system and manual trim wheels can be powered to run after the electric thumb switches have been released? I'm discounting the autopilot since it's just a comparable alternative clutch drive. Was it just the spin-down of the main electric motor which should by then have been decoupled?

The suggestion that a clutch could be binding when not selected is more than a little disturbing.