PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 04:23
Green.Dot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DROPS
Bleat away all you like about this and that and the other being the myriad reasons why you had a bad day.

But please don't infer or outright state that this is due to go-slow or industrial action by ATC. It isn't.

And frankly it is offensive to ATC's when they are stuck in the same impossible and frustrating position that most of you professional pilots are.
Ok, sorry if the industrial action bit is inaccurate. I am only going off rumours in the past so please accept my apology. It’s good to see Pilots and ATC are in agreeance that this is lunacy.

So, how do Pilots and ATC get this FIXED or change the system? Who do we lobby to as professionals to both achieve more efficiency and make the next 30 years of careers more enjoyable?

Idea 1: Let people take runway 27 with tailwind/xwind wind at their own comfort level. I believe all the narrow body’s can legally take 10kts tailwind for takeoff and some even 15. Would I rather take a headwind? Of Course! Would I take 10 kts tailwind in an aircraft rated at 15kts TW to save 30 mins? YES. Don’t get me wrong, better airmanship would be to takeoff in to wind but it’s no different to taking off on a short strip like Hamilton Island or Mackay which is marginal. If OPT says its legal its legal. (Unfortunate that the current system is pushing us to think like this).

Idea 2, and arguably better: Sort out a flow for runway 09 with dual runway ops.

Cheers