PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hero saves Regional Jet at ORD
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2019, 23:17
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickNRoll
There is a good chance the cart could have flipped and injured him.
Yes there were a few people who could have been injured in this but fortunately nobody it seems to have been. Maybe it was just the distant imagery but I got the distinct impression everyone was quite calm with no gesticulating, shouting or flapping of arms. It's seems they calmly assessed the situation long enough to determine there was only one course of action, and took it. Couple of things I noted.

Was he the driver or perhaps a guy who got hit by the cart that was picked up off the ground and moved out of harms way in the early part of the video? So there's a pat on the back for the guy who picked him up. He quite possibly prevented a serious injury.

One guy looks like he was thinking about climbing aboard the machine but then found himself in an awkward position and had to run to avoid getting sandwiched between the cart and the aircraft nose. A lucky escape from injury.

I also noted the guy in the front with his back to the camera. He seemed to be the guy who assessed that one more crazy cart spin and the aircraft would be toast and gave the 'kill' order to the pushback operator.

The pushback operator is commended for carrying out his work thoroughly and not stopping his lunge until he was absolutely sure the crazy cart was terminated!!

So bit of a team effort really. Hero's? Well, maybe a little overused today but certainly a ballsy effort that saved damage to the aircraft. Hopefully a few guys get appropriately recognised.