PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAMP checks... Easy or hard? Moving from the Coffs thread..... go ahead lads......
Old 1st Oct 2019, 20:57
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by PLovett
Speeding is an absolute liability offence, not strict liability. There is a massive difference.

I and others have tried explaining the difference before but no-one likes to be disabused of a whinge and it keeps getting trotted out. Incidentally, your explanation of a defence is wrong also.
Speeding is not an “absolute liability” offence.

If someone is holding a gun to your head and ordering you to speed, that’s a defence.

If the vehicle has a latent design defect that results in sudden and uncontrollable acceleration past the speed limit, that’s a defence.

Then there’s honest and reasonable mistake of fact.

There are no defences to an “absolute liability” offence. Or maybe we have different concepts of “absolute liability” versus “strict liability”?

I think AndrewR makes a legitimate point about ramp checks being quasi-investigations into the past. A police officer can’t ask for evidence that I complied with all laws when I drove from A to B. (Well, I suppose s/he can, but my response would be: “Good morning officer. My name is X and I live at Y. Here is my driver’s licence”.)