PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean 773 Blows MLG on ldg with clip ...
Old 1st Oct 2019, 20:45
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed of Sound
“Japanese investigators of Korean Air Boeing 777-300 that suffered serious damage to its rear wheel axle of the main landing gear conclude that corrosion contributed to failure.”
thanks.

I went back later and read the report after my post.... the report was well done. The aft bogie has the hardest time of loads on takeoff and on landing. It is subject to higher torsional and bending loads than the other axles.

[The B777 has great control authority and handles crosswinds well. Looking back in some data I see one particular TO in that tail number that got a 46kt crosswind gust on the takeoff, and required much less than full rudder to maintain centerline. It does exhibit spoiler walkdown but only when there is a lot of wok n' roll going on. This incident should indicate that SIWL is a factor to consider if wing down is being contemplated as a XW technique. I have to dust off notes on a investigation I did years ago on a series of gear trunnion failures that were occurring to a carrier, the gear was quite often coming up through the upper spar cap which makes for a long day. Through the cobwebs however, the inputs immediately before touchdown and the touchdown attitude can alter the magnitude and type of loads that the gear is subjected to

One oddity of the 777 was a weirdness of directional stability in a strong crosswind, at low speed... rather surprisingly with strong crosswinds, the plane initially has a tendency to turn away from the wind. Once some speed has been achieved on the roll, this reverses slightly to a more normal weathervaning tendency. Another slight oddity is that in stable strong crosswinds, the aircraft responds to a rudder alignment prior to touchdown by effectively jacking the tail upwind, and the cockpit offset from the centerline doesn't come back towards the centerline quite as it does with say, the B747, or 757/767/737. Nice plane though, pity it has so much fuel on board]

Last edited by fdr; 1st Oct 2019 at 21:08.