PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 1st Oct 2019, 15:22
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawg
You couldn't be more wrong. Or more proud. You blame pilot error and then end by stating we need to identify the cause. Which is it you sound so confused. Let me help. This was not simply pilot error.
have a good night
I did identify the cause: Pilot Error. They failed to control their aircraft when it was possible to do so by using the runaway trim procedures as published. Contributing to that was maybe the fact that they had not been trained to do so (speculation).
You disagree but do not provide facts or opinions as to why. I suspect Political Correctness drives what you write.

The difficulties the crews had in flying the aircraft after the event (one caused by a failed A/A sensor that had not been correctly repaired and the other for a failure not identified) were all made worse because they failed to follow the correct procedures and allowed their aircraft to be uncontrollable and subsequently lost. Those failures included flying above the maximum permitted speed at low altitude, not isolating the trim systems in accordance with the QRH, using the wrong configuration, and mainly not flying the airplane. All pretty basic stuff and if they were newbies with no training I could see it but they were the product of their system and supposedly qualified and capable. Sadly, they were neither.

If we do not acknowledge this (and so many of you refuse to) it matters not what is done to improve the MCAS system because if a pilot does not know how to fly his aircraft it is only a matter of time before another major accident and passenger deaths.

I flew for several airlines that had a reputation (well deserved) for a high accident rate while flying perfectly serviceable airplanes and it was only after the problem was recognized as pilot error and action was taken to rectify that cause that the accident rates dropped. The point is that it is necessary to identify the root cause no matter how unpalatable it might be and to address it with actions that will reduce the risk. Going after Boeing as if their aircraft was the sole cause of the accidents is not going to help. I mentioned the previous accidents in 1996 that were caused by a loss of static information to the flight instruments for example. Neither of these were failures in the aircraft and both could still be safely flown but hundreds of people died.

80 percent of all accidents are pilot error. These accidents are no different. Burying your head in the sand does not help.