PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2019, 09:35
Weapons Grade

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Visits aplenty - depressing really!

Originally Posted by Dan Dare
You guys REALLY need to take the time to visit your local ATC unit. I guarantee there will be answers to each of these issues (not Oz an ATCO, so I can only guess). Whichever part of the world you’re in ATC just want you off their frequency as quickly as possible so you’re not delayed for their benefit.
I agree that ATC generally wants to process traffic SAFELY and EXPEDITIOUSLY.
So why the hell does Australian ATC make it so bloody complicated? It is not as though Australia has a lot of traffic; abominable weather; challenging terrain, etc.
What I have found over many, many years of being in this worldly game, is that Australian ATC is constantly stymied by all manner of negative-resulting assessments. The rest of the world "makes it happen"; Aust ATC makes a science of "why it can't happen". Different mind-set, different rules-set - however, the result is the same in Australia.
As a suggestion: all ATCs' KPIs should be linked to traffic efficiency, and without caveats - a flight takes either a COBT or airborne delay, ALL ATCs KPIs take a percentile hit. I am sure that will have their collective minds focused on safe, expeditious and EFFICIENT traffic management. And, do not get me started with traffic holding fuel and who pays for it, but who should pay for it when traffic holding invoked.