PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom F28 crashes at Pennsylvania fairground
Old 1st Oct 2019, 07:58
Ascend Charlie

Received 222 Likes on 101 Posts
For those who want to take commercial-paying pax on night joyrides around a crowded fairground:
(Assuming you have checked the site on foot first, then done a few circuits in and out of this place in daylight and assessed the risks and the best approach and departure routes)
How high would you expect to climb for this circuit, given that the ride is only supposed to go for 3 minutes, and you need to fly a full circle around the site;
You would be lucky to get to 500', and a loaded R44 is lucky to climb at 500'/min, you will barely reach 500' before having to descend again in a turn.
Loaded 44, straining on the power, high collective setting, pilot talking to the pax and not paying much attention, after all it is the 47th flight today, climbing through maybe 300', and it gives a cough. *coff*
What are your options? Very limited. It is night. Black as the inside of a cow.
Do you go for a lit area? Oops, the fairground is full of tents and people. The carpark is full of cars and people.That lit highway is jammed with cars coming to, and leaving from, the fair. There is a dark patch over there, it might be a flat bit that doesn't have people. Turn towards, try to regain some RRPM and airspeed, here comes flare height...
Rats. It's a hole in the ground for a construction site.

So, a twin turbine makes some sense in our country. A single piston makes no sense at all. A single turbine is a bit better, but still not legal for joyrides. Not here. And you are right, I have never flown in your country except as a pax (Hang on, I flew a Schweizer 330 around Miami over houses at zot feet in daylight hours back in 1996. Tell the truth. But I wasn't the captain...) and I never expect to. I wouldn't even want to.