PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA urges ICAO to address erosion of 'manual' piloting skills
Old 30th Sep 2019, 20:00
Grebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raffles S.A.
I'm happy to say I fly a 727 and get quite a lot of hand flying, just a few weeks ago had to do a hand-flown VOR approach almost down to minimums. I still don't understand the fixation of the requirement of 500 hours glass cockpit to get a job on a glass cockpit plane. It's a most ridiculous requirement. It should be the other way round, 500 hours of steam to get a job on a steam driven airplane.
Sorry cant resist

Steam Powered Aircraft Flies

Really. Believe it or not, a successful aircraft flew using a steam engine for power. Built by Travel Air Manufacturing Co. and modified by Besler Steam Laundry to promote their business, the aircraft first flew on April 12th, 1933 over Oakland, California.

The original Travel Air 2000 was known as the 'Wichita Fokker' because of it's role in numerous Hollywood movies about WWI. It was designed by Lloyd Stearman, and built by his partners Walter Beech and Clyde Cessna. In fact, over half the aircraft built between 1924 and 1930 were produced by their company.

https://www.wowreally.blog/2007/01/s...aft-flies.html