PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Samsung S6, true GPS or not?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2019, 16:24
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Samsung S6, true GPS or not?

The simplest of questions, but I have not got a clear idea after two sessions of searching.

I'm on Android 7.0 Knox version, whatever that means. 2.7.1

I go into MAPs hoping to GPS my way around as my Garmin has got a bit long in the tooth. I follow instructions on the S6 which are wrong within about two lines. Apps, Yep. Settings, Yep. Privacy and Safety - it's all over, I'm now a stranger in a strange land.

They clearly say one can "GPS only" and things like that. I have no such command on my phone.

It's been a good phone, and a fabulous camera, plopping it straight onto my Watson Scientific microscope, I'm getting breathtaking images of watch circuitry at X90. Anyway, as a GPS it seems a dead loss. It doesn't even offer, 'Make this location, HOME'. and easy steps like that.

Do I need to download a better GPS App? Is my Android software abandoned by Samsung? I just don't understand how I can be sure that I'm not just navigating via terrestrial data though I have not used any of my 1GB allowance.

The thing is, if it is 'GPSing' it's not very accurate. It sees me as being one house down the road. The Garmin knows what room I'm in. Just things like that, that make me suspicious.