PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA urges ICAO to address erosion of 'manual' piloting skills
Old 29th Sep 2019, 22:25
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zerograv
It is my understanding that in the US airlines there is no "fast-track" in terms of training of pilots when it comes to operate a 737. Certainly they have far more experience than "some of the world's airline pilots" when it is time to fly a 737.

Have to then say that don't understand the reason as to why was the MAX grounded in the US ??? The experience being there, the aircraft being safe on manual flight, and the US being big enough country to justify the MAX use within its frontiers, have to say that I don't get it why the MAX was grounded in the US ...
I must agree with you. I think that they got caught up in a world wide media led fever \tidal wave that followed ET and the fact that Ethiopian blamed the plane almost immediately- because that’s what you do if you are a national authority when one of your own planes crashes in your own country and National prestige is at stake. A domino effect as one by one each authority waited and watched to see who would blink first. And one by one they blinked til the lights went out
Does Concorde report ring a bell? A lecture at the RAE a few nights ago told a very different story from the commonly held view of what caused the fatal, final crash.
I’m quite sure that if USA had permitted the Max to stay flying, and Boeing had fixed right away the three glaring shortcomings of MCAS which they could have done in early summer, there would have been no recurrences whatsoever. I feel that once all,pilots in the US knew the cause of the two crashes, the pilots would have been all over it.
We kept flying after the three rudder hardcover crashes in the nineties because we trained pilots what to do if it happened, before the actual cause and remedies were found and implemented. And that was a nightmare where the cause was very obscure.
Since that’s not what happened it’s in the realm of conjecture but if only Indonesia and Ethiopia had banned the Max, it would still be flying. I would have had no trouble at all flying down the back of an unmodified Max back in the Spring, and still wouldn’t provided the guys up front had the proper experience and training.
Yes, there is a split on this forum since the start on whether it’s a training issue, a software/hardware issue, or somewhere in between. I’m really looking forward to a final factual report on the two crashes after which we will know the truth. If it emerges.
Cheers
Y
y