PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 28th Sep 2019, 22:35
Tomaski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Takwis
So, Tomaski, they trimmed, as they should have, and it responded to their commands, as it should have, but their commands were not aggressive enough. That still doesn't look like a runaway stab trim.
Okay, so we all agree that the Main Electric Trim was working, the accident pilots made trim inputs opposite of the MCAS inputs, but those inputs were not sufficient. Why didn't they trim more? This is not a trick question. It really goes to the heart of one of the significant human factor elements to these accidents.

As you previously said, pilot trim inputs typically are habitual, even if some system on the 737 is making its own inputs in the opposite direction. Three pilots (penultimate Lion Air 610 Captain & FO, accident Lion Air 610 Captain) managed to keep up with the trim, albeit with some difficulty. Two pilots did not. I am very curious as to what made the difference. I have my own theory, but I don't have any data to back it up.