PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 28th Sep 2019, 22:02
pilotnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawg
Been there done that and didn't even get a t-shirt my friend.

All you folks that are saying the aircraft was flyable and the checklist and memory items cover all the mcas issues haven't been flying very long or perhaps you have just been lucky.
I admire your 32 year old condescending tone and yes they did. The previous Lion flight was a good example. What you do is you generalize based on your short experience. There are numerous captains all over the world who lose themselves in a simple engine fire drill on a simulator or are unable to make a manual ils approach in raw data without destabilizing. Some of them are your friends and you don’t even know until you have a session with them. Sometimes they are let through opc’s because of pilot shortage, sometimes it’s because they are old friends and it’s uncomfortable to tell them the truth that they no longer have the perception. The problem is bigger than just a multitude of lights and alerts. We developed a system in which it is almost a heresy to say that a pilot did something wrong and because of this we put ourselves into an illusion that Boeing, Airbus or whatever needs to build a better plane that will never shine more than one light or sound more than one alert at a time so that a captain who haven’t read an FCOM or FCTM since his upgrade 15 years ago could face it.

Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt
Repeating the obvious is the essence of teaching.
Some posts here seem to still be missing the obvious.

This point has been covered a long time ago here.
What's the crew to do when they discover that the manual wheels won't budge ?
BTW didn't some FAA test pilot say that it would take 40 s before the aircraft was doomed ?
The test pilot said it would take 40s to crash the aircraft with MCAS corrupted if NO ACTIONS are taken which. I think we all realise this. However, it is irrelevant to this discussion as the actions WERE taken and they were good until reversed.