PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 28th Sep 2019, 19:38
pilotnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt
Experience taught me that pilots inexpectedly put in an unusual attitude with other things happening in the cockpit do *not* react like you suppose, sir. Hundreds of them, Europeans as well as Americans, low-time pilots as well as fighter pilots.
And I seriously doubt many of us here would consistently succeed in an unexpected spate of multiple alarms and control difficulties in a sim, with no g's, no life at stake, no nothing.
But I'd welcome a sim or video showing I'm wrong.
What kind of an argument is that? You are stating the obvious that it is very hard for a pilot to find a solution when pinned down by several inconsistent alerts. It is as much of a problem in 737MAX as in all kinds of airbus (AF447) and other types. It is a problem of modern automatization and the fact that nowadays a manufacturer is expected to deliver the impossible, namely an aircraft in which every conceivable malfunction is recognized before being allowed into air.
I am not saying that the crew had it easy and I am most certainly not saying that Boeing did good job on taking only one input to MCAS. I am saying that blaming one word in NNC is absurd. No matter how many lights were glittering, there was not a single one that should be linked to aircraft stabilizing itself in manual flight. I find it astonishing that in the ETH crew the low hour FO noticed what's going on. I wasn't paying much attention to this case but I still wonder if it was the captain who deliberately switched the stan trim cut out switches back to on position and doomed the aircraft.