PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane rating SEA float rating EASA
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2019, 15:28
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Generally, the higher costs of floatplane operation, as stated earlier, is higher insurance costs, and the reality that the small event in a landplane could be a large, or write off event in a floatplane. There is also quite a cost to buy and maintain a set of floats, which you don't have with a wheelplane. The only way to beat the higher cost a little bit if you're going to fly a lot, is to own the plane. I no longer insure my two amphibians for hull, I take the risk. This morning's conversation with a colleague is that three of his amphibian owner friends have seen insurance costs about double in recent months. The only way to beat this is for everyone to fly more safely, and not have accidents.

It's been a bad year for floatplane insurance claims this year. A friend of mine flipped his 185 amphib just over a month ago with his wife and kids on board. Wife and kids made it, my friend and the dog did not. 'Problem was, he was carrying one too many kids aboard (they're small kids so they fit, but the count was one too many) and it appears that the insurer will disallow the hull insurance payment for that. It's been a costly year for insurers, and they're not making the extra step to be generous. When their costs go up, we pay soon after if we want that service. So, fly safe, but you can't argue the costs - no one will listen!