PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Takeoff with VNAV and LNAV disarmed
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2019, 12:24
Tomaski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmmoric
Old fossils are overrepresented in stall or spin during departure/landings

I've read e few reports where they don't use the ASI, but go by their "instincts" getting older.
Speaking as an old fossil, relying on the airspeed indicator without reference to the attitude and power settings is simply asking for trouble. I can think of quite a few accidents that resulted from chasing airspeed as opposed to setting appropriate pitch and power.

In my "old school" instrument training parlance, attitude and power are "control" instruments. Airspeed, altitude, heading, etc are "performance" instrument. You set the "control" instruments to the desired positions and then cross-check the "performance" instruments to see if you are getting the desired response. If something is out of whack, then you would first cross-check your attitude and power indicators and, if deemed reliable, continue to fly them and then determine if something is wrong with one of your performance indicators. This is a lesson that is easily forgotten in the age of modern airliners. Sadly, there are many pilots who don't get much beyond following the flight director commands, a method that probably works 98% of the time. It's that other 2% that will get you in trouble.......