PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Board to Call for Safety Changes After 737 Max Crashes
Old 27th Sep 2019, 01:27
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lomapaseo
From my view this is not just a Boeing problem, but applies throughout the industry.

In my simplistic view, somehow we can no longer assume that the man machine interface will stop arguing to the point where the recovery is impossible. What does it take to teach the man otherwise?
On some distant sideline of the 40th ICAO Assembly, two very interesting events. One, a discussion with a rising, young leader of a Member State delegation, whose combined diplomatic and flight-training career exemplifies, by all accounts, how to get things in pilot training right - and though saying this ventures somewhat of an educated guess (I don't claim specific factual background knowledge) - getting things right within that country's system for training generally, not just her individually.
Second, a presentation by the DG of EUROCONTROL. In which the increasing role of automation was prominent.
Extraction of thread-related comment: as to the second event, the aviation safety ecosystem better get goin' on the advancement and refinement of the human factors subparts. Which aren't going away. Especially with the management and/or cultural issues laid bare at Boeing, and in the certification process.
As to the first, on one hand ICAO IATA ACI and the rest cheerily forecast large, large gains in traffic, and of course advocate for the capacity building needed to sustain it. But the pioneering spirit, and dedication, this young leader has needed to sustain just to establish a rightful place in international aviation diplomacy is telltale, perhaps. It reveals, I sometimes worry, that the flood of new pilots needed for that doubling of traffic will consist way too much of rote checklist types (to reiterate: the leader is highly well-trained) of any and all the many demographics involved. And saying, "oh you old weeping willow, don't fret none, it'll all be computerized." In Zuckerberg We Trust, I guess....thanks, but no thanks.