PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 26th Sep 2019, 23:00
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
"Boeing assumed that an MCAS failure had a safety risk that was "major," which was less severe than the "catastrophic" category, the NTSB said. The company assumed pilots would easily recognise an MCAS failure and counteract it."

SMH https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...27-p52vdf.html

How on earth did not disclosing the system being installed tie in with any assumption of recognition????

"..... wait, lo!, we have some problem with the airspeed indicator, and I see that is the altimeter too is bad.... ", "and I have a stall warning...." "so lemmethink in the cacophony of the cockpit here, hmmm, what would the manufacturer have done, I wonder, I should be able to work this out in the next 30 seconds, after all, the manufacturer only had 50 years to sort it out, and about 5,000 aerospace engineers, so this should be easy while I fight for control of the aircraft... which is now fighting me... it is doing something I have not ever seen before, but obviously I must be able to reverse engineer the system and determine what the problem is... is there too much weight in the tail, is there a failure of a control line, or did the manufacturer add a new device that can kill me and not bother to tell me about it? I wonder... clocks running, tick tock... " "aha, I have it, they must have installed a new system in the aircraft for a problem in the design, and told the FAA about that, and then they must have changed the system so it didn't have any of the safety protections of the original and they must have not bothered to tell the FAA about it or have done any meaningful safety analysis on it, and then they probably called it something innocuous like MCAS, it sounds better than USTKM (Unknown System Trying to Kill Me), and then, if I don't guess how this works, and I don't sort it out i the next 5 seconds, after the event I am going to be blamed for being substandard by the FAA, the manufacturer, the US Senate, and many opinionated people on chat rooms who are happy to demean my memory as being less than competent for not sorting the problem out in the remaining 2, ... 1 second".

Fade to black

This industry is morally bankrupt.