PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell ditching off Newcastle
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2019, 13:52
belly tank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
Sunny, ultimately it is the pilot that must take responsibility for unnecessary risk. This guy could well have refused the direction if indeed such a direction was issued. The more poignant question is: Was what the hell was he thinking of; piloting an ancient piece of dung only suited to day VFR on good days, after last light, in ****ty weather, with 5 innocent passengers on board? I mean WTF. I know they did all this stuff in Hueys "back in Nam" but that was 50 odd years ago. The machine was a relic from a bygone era.
There is no blame whatsoever on Willy Tower that I can see no matter what they said.

The issue of an over regulated piece of airspace is a seperate issue from this prang. I am so sad it happened.
Aussie Bob, I couldn’t agree with you more.

Some are blaming Willy for holding him at Anna Bay, maybe one of the issues here?. As I keep alluding to the weather was atrocious, blowing dust,gusting 48kts at night with a front approaching, in a old aircraft with seemingly basic instruments.

If he was “planning “ a NVFR flight do you think he would be flying coastal or tracking via Taree on the airway at lowest safe ?

Re fuel at Coffs, punching into a headwind could also be a factor.

Ive transited Willy day and night for 20 years and never had any issues.

Last edited by belly tank; 27th Sep 2019 at 21:58.