PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR requesting IFR pick-up below MSA
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2019, 11:22
Asdfghjk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR requesting IFR pick-up below MSA

Hi all

I have a question regarding how the procedure for IFR pick-up from low levels is done by ATC in your countries.

Example, a light aircraft flying VFR at 500ft AGL experience low cloudbase and therefore suddenly request IFR pick-up by ATC and vectors to the nearby local airport for the ILS. If the MSA (or ATC minimum vectoring altitude) is 3000ft in the area, and the pilot is not able to climb to that altitude VFR, what is your experience on how this is done?

If ATC issues the pilot vectors from low level at 500ft, ATC is not adhering to the minimum vector altitude and will take the pilot into IMC on a heading instructed by ATC and with the pilot possibly believing they are under safe radar control even below 3000ft.
If ATC ask the pilot to climb VFR to 3000ft before they are cleared IFR vectors, the pilot will not be able to do so without going into IMC.
And if ATC instructs the pilot to climb IFR to 3.0ft but to maintain own obstacle clearence and hence let the naviation and heading be up to the pilot, ATC risk that they have an IFR aircraft suddenly showing up at 3000ft not on a specific heading which can be critical in a busy TMA environment due to possible loss of seperation to other aircrafts in vicinity.

So i'm curious, how other experience is in dealing with IFR pickup and if they have any specific procedures they follow in these cases? Also haven't found any written information on this subject in ICAO/SERA documents, but maybe I missed something. If anyone know of written documents describing the matter in their local country, that would also be appreciated.