PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photo storage options
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2019, 17:12
toscana24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
So....the perennial problem of storing the creative outputs of our minds ;-)

I have several small bodied, but large capacity external HD's, variously filled up with folders full of photos and films taken over the last decade. I was mulling using several CD-R/DVD-R's to have a back-up of the back-ups so to say. Not that I'm expecting disasters various, it would be more comforting to know that IF the worst were to happen, at least there would be records of the photos somewhere. Has anyone had experience with large capacity CD/DVD backups ? Any tips appreciated, most of the articles on the web seem to be from yesteryear.
I think that the only solution that is feasible for anyone with many 10s of thousands of digital pix (I have nearly 150k) is to use external hard drives (my latest ones (four) are each of 4TBs). My modus operandi is to keep two sets of the pix (on the 4 HDs) at two different locations and to update them systematically (usually at each month end). It is a bit of a bind but an external drive failed on me earlier this year so having everything duplicated saved the day. I number all my pix with the date (e.g. 190924xxx) but do not keep them in daily etc folders, however, I do keep a spreadsheet summary record showing the daily subjects (e.g. airshow at xyz). That helps find what I am looking for as once you have the date you have most of the name of the photo file.

I have toyed with the idea of cloud storage but concluded that the cost of such storage is prohibitive and the time spent uploading would be too operous.

Hope this helps....