PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 24th Sep 2019, 13:36
OldnGrounded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomaski
Yes, MCAS was a crap system and never should have made it past certification. Not informing crews of its existence was borderline criminal. That doesn't mean it was not possible for pilots to have been exposed to the type of training that would have allowed them to survive this malfunction.
Sure, it could be trained, but there would be no need for such training if the system didn't do that. Presumably, going forward and assuming that the MAX gets back in the air, it won't do that -- a much better situation.

Edit: Also, there is some question about the likelihood of pilots promptly recognizing improper MCAS intervention, even if they know about the system. And, in the original version, if you didn't identify the problem and sort it out in 40 seconds, you and your pax were dead. It's OK with me if you want to try to train aircrews for situations like that, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on the results of that training.

Last edited by OldnGrounded; 24th Sep 2019 at 13:48.