PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 16:59
GordonR_Cape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ST Dog
[snip]

He was maintaining altitude. I think he would have given a really long trim command at some point and got back to better pitch if he had stayed on the controls. He'd already worked out that he could stop MCAS (not knowing what it was). I think the increasing forces would have connected and he'd have made a bigger stab correction. I think he soon would have (or had the F/O) checked the actual stab position and put it back in the 6.5-7 region.

[snip]
I raised this point a long time ago, and it was (politely) ignored. It seems that there is no indication of the stabiliser trim position on any of the primary flight displays, only on the pedestal between the pilots. It also seems that it is not part of any training to actually look at those numbers, at least after takeoff. It does seem a little strange (to me) that there is no direct display of runaway trim, only spinning wheels and heavier control forces. It seems ironic that we know more from the FDR (after the crash), than the pilots actually trying to fly the aircraft.