PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Chart simplification! why, why, WHY?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2003, 04:08
brianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WE CLING TO STABILITY

Guys

Having worked at change in the corporate world, I understand that we cling to "no change" as a comfort to our perceptions. That is why unions are so successful in campaigns by pushing for the status quo. And, before any snipes, I have also held a position in the union movement.

Yes, I did the flight in the present. And yes, remember there was resistance to removing the guy who used to walk in front of the horseless carriage with the red flag - come to think of it, the way Victoria is now gestapoe'd over driving, it may well return - and boy wouldn't that both cut the road toll and create a climate where people wanted to fly - let's do it!

Ignoring the holes, what about the cheese. The NAS brings a higher level of safety to CTAF operations. Is anyone really going to argue in support of the high % of Oz that is Military/Restricted airspace - say one military aircraft per 10000 square kilometres? I will also be quite happy to buzz over melbourne at 3000' - although I hope I am still flying when that comes about.

OK, lines on the map may remind people of DRA. But my point is that what CASA designates as DRA may be inappropriate in reality. If you come down in the sandhills at Moonlight Tank in Victoria (not in a DRA) you may perish just as dead as in a DRA.

I remember being at a Safety Seminar when the trogs belittled the Oz move to ICAO phraseology and readbacks. Who knows, might have saved a few lives since?

The one issue of concern I have with the NAS is whether it will once again be watered down to suit a few vocal vested interests, so that we get some but not all of the benefits. I would prefer it be rolled in as is.

I have noticed a few posts critical of VFR pilots in this NAS debate (not referring to the last 2 posters). Oh venerable IFR and RPT gentlemen, please don't throw rocks at rubber walls - I might start bouncing back with a few cowboy things I have seen and heard. Those of us who fly VFR and attempt to always act by the letter of the law are not motivated to your cause by such ill intentioned divisive comment.

PS The weekend trip was great and the Airvan is great to fly but if anyone is going bush in one, take some padding for the seats and don't try and fit anyone over 5'6'' in the seats immediately behind the pilot/co-pilot or numb bums and cramp will rule the day!

PPS If NAS have not responded to that email - and I know they have been busy with the current rollout - send them a reminder and I am sure Brendan will get back to you with the answers.
Cheers
Brian H