PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook Pilots in the market
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 13:33
Rottweiler22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wtsmg
Somewhat over optimistic I think. We're on the crest of the next downturn cycle. TCXs collapse has come at a bad time with the Brexit uncertainty. Ezy recruitment is pretty stagnant for that reason and has been for a while. I'd suggest anyone in training at the moment have a non-flying plan B income lined up when they finish because they may well find things a bit barren.
You may be right. It appears on the other thread that flyBe are knocking back newly-qualified pilots, which I never thought would happen. With Ryanair’s doors closed, it seems there’s not much out there at the moment. Not until you’ve got a bit of experience, anyway.

The big one that needs to open up is Ryanair. I would say 80% of people I trained with ended up there, so it’s been, and still will be a huge taker of new pilots.

Time will tell, but I agree, I too would advise anyone in the training system to have a plan B. Regardless of the state of the market. Some way of earning enough to pay your bills, loans if you have any, keep a roof over your head, and stay current. Possibly even do an instructor rating if you can.