PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 09:25
MemberBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a pilot. In the MAX threads there was a comment from a 737 captain some time ago, regarding a discussion he was having about MCAS with his first officer. He said that during the discussion he discovered that his first officer didn't know you have to extend the handle of trim wheel when operating it manually, and he had to demonstrate how to extend the handle to his first officer.

As Mentour's simulator video has shown, it can be very difficult or even impossible to move the trim wheels due to the aerodynamic forces, even with the handles extended. Not extending the handles probably makes things much harder.

I first thought that the story about that first officer may have been an isolated case, but then I saw a video of a simulator training session in a 737, which included a stabilizer trim runaway, and those pilots didn't extend the trim wheel handles either. So now I'm thinking that this issue may be more widespread.

This is the video I'm talking about, the runaway starts 2:45 minutes into the video: