PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 19:34
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

A few points before mods move or cut us off and we return to politics and regulations and such versus the way things flly and changes to our plane that we don't know about.

- I have not seen official text of what happened on the previous Lion flight where many folks claim was saved by a third crewmember. My opinion is we are hearing some urban legend with a touch of reality, but not much considering the AC did not mention turning off the trim switches, not the constant stick shaker.

- I disagree somewhat with one opinion that MCAS should have been based on "q" versus AoA. Apparently, the poorly documented system used mach from the existing computer boxes for "gains". Imagine that sucker activating at 20,000 feet in the holding pattern using the slow speed gains as happened with the two crashes.
The plane has a pitch aero problem, surely. Not unstable, but not the same pitch moments and control deflection/force as the NG model.
The implementation was FUBAR, in my not so humble opinion. And overriding an existing ability to tell HAL to knock it off, just plain sucks.

- Let no one here doubt that I have opinions of the woulda, shoulda, coulda actions of the two crews, but we can all talk about that one stormy night at that neat bar reserved for the brotherhood that flies.

Gums sends...