PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS feeling effects of global pilot shortage
Old 21st Sep 2019, 12:58
rcoight

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloudee
Read my posts again mate. I have no problem with RFDS pilots being paid more than they whatever they are getting, I don't doubt management want to lower costs by offering lower wages (and they still get inundated with pilot applicants). I was just replying to the guy who seems to think it is an affront to humanity if the pilot is not the highest paid person on board.
Ok. The thing is RFDS are NOT inundated with applications - at least not from people they should be considering.
They are now considering (and more) applications from people who wouldn’t have made the “filing cabinet” a few years ago. It is not unreasonable to ask why the entry standards have dropped so much.
To be honest, the public should be asking this question.
The obvious answer is that while historically RFDS has (rightly) been considered to be the very best of GA and a genuine long term career goal for the right people, in the current environment what they offer is simply not attractive enough to bring in the caliber of pilots the job requires.
What’s happening now is that ****loads of low-time pilots are using RFDS to pump up their resume for a year or two and then leaving ASAP to that airline job they really wanted all along.