PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Manual Landing Technique
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2019, 08:25
ScepticalOptomist

Received 110 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by misd-agin
If I get an increase in speed below 100', can anyone recommend what I do? When do I retard the power? What about the effect of wind and weight? Should I still wait to the 30' call, 20' call, etc, etc? When do I zero out the rudder in a crosswind? Or should I be adding rudder in a crosswind? If I'm adding rudder should I be doing anything with the wings? What about the power?

If I'm slightly high on glide slope what's the recommendation? Accept the deviation? Or adjust my pitch attitude to correct for the slight deviation? What about my power reduction now? Delay it? Do it sooner? Isn't my speed trend going to increase if I decrease my pitch slightly? Won't my sink rate increase?

Which of those variables should I focus on first? Second? Or is it some sort of dynamic event that takes training, experience, knowledge, awareness, and ability to deal with??? Does anyone know if the industry has a training program, instructors, and line training pilots to help?
Are you flying the real jet or a flight sim? If you’re rated and having this amount of trouble with the basics may I suggest you chat to the training department or a Captain you can easily approach.

These aeroplanes are reasonably easy to fly with a little experience - won’t take you more than a few months to be confident and proficient.

Generally by 100’ you should be flying a visual aimpoint - don’t get too hung up on the GS. Fly the aeroplane to your aiming point and develop an awareness of your energy state. Experience will define for you how much to adjust flare height and rate. Don’t try and grease it on - that’s not important.

Good luck and have fun.